Mobile Devices Account for Nearly 70% of Email Opens
As with much in digital marketing, what worked five years tends not to work so well now.
According to a recent report, 66% of emails are now opened on a Smartphone or tablet and the migration of email usage from desktop to mobile devices continues.
Content Not Layout
Image rich, HTML emails are a disadvantage here. We all regularly receive HTML emails from non-whitelisted or unknown sources with images missing which don’t render correctly. That’s not to say that a lot of time hasn’t been spent designing and composing these emails. I would argue that too much emphasis is on layout and not content.
Email open rates tend to be dictated by subject lines, the sender, first few lines of content and time of day sent.
What To Do
We believe that for your email marketing to be effective, you need:
- plain text emails, well written but concise – short & straight to the point
- research and test your subject lines
- ‘front load’ subject lines & headings (the first 2 words are critical)
- focus on your first paragraph. Again, it should be short and straight to the point
- include links if required but not too many to trigger the attention of spam filters
- test your landing pages and make sure they work well on mobile devices (and dont require Flash plugins, etc)
Finally, Watch the Big Words ..
Recent studies have shown that the average UK adult has a literacy level of an 11 year old and would fail an English GSCE. Additionally, in the cosmopolitan UK of the 21st century, English is the 2nd language of many clients. Our advice is to go easy on the big words, superlatives and technical speak and instead focus on clear, concise copy.
Trackback from your site.